Astrology – Astrologer’s Guidelines
Astrology is based on the understanding that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena, planetary cycles, and cycles in the natural and human world on the planet.
It is vastly diverse in its application and its practitioners are equally diverse, bringing into their astrological practice a variety of additional skills and educational backgrounds.
I am committed to work that enriches and enhances life, and protects human dignity. I realize that my own proficiency increases through my personal life journey, my readings, my predictions and it is a evolutionary process with time. I have been performing this valuable and difficult function for the last 14-15 years, and I have still not become the best at what I do but it is surely refined through many years of self-training and experience.
The purpose of this post is only to reflect personally, publicly and professionally, and to lend dignity to the profession, without stifling creativity, individuality and future growth. I do not lend myself to a rigid set of rules outlining all of Astrology’s functions and procedures. However, acceptable conduct is paramount to its respectability. Since the growth and acceptance of astrology is moving forward at a rapid rate, it will be necessary that all astrologers follow certain principles.
A Professional Astrologer:
A Professional Astrologer, is one who is able to accurately calculate a horoscope and interpret it by commonly accepted standards of procedure, and receives clients for payment, and/or sells astrological information via a publisher or media presentation, or who teaches astrology for a fee.
It is the responsibility of each one of us as astrologers to endeavor to maintain the dignity of his/her profession in every way possible by upholding the following principles:
Responsibility to Client:
- Terms of the consultation be clearly understood prior to the appointed time. This would include fee, duration, style and what the client has a right to expect.
- Understand that clients trust you with their emotional well being. Be sensitive to the needs of the client. Clearly indicate what information you need, and what the client can expect from you.
- Before giving guidance to someone with a cultural background that is unfamiliar to you, take the time to understand their cultural issues. What works in the United States may not work in India, and what works in India may not work well in the United States.
- Collection of accurate data. A recorded birth time, date (day/month/year) and precise geographical location are optimum. Full responsibility must be taken in selecting systems, procedures and analysis.
- Interpretation and assessment is to be made by astrological significance and credibility, unless otherwise stated. This does not preclude the use of other procedures and disciplines, but it does mean that if such are used, it be so stated. It also means that if a client is expecting an astrological reading, and parameters are enlarged, that this be agreed upon by both client and astrologer.
- Take sufficient time to analyze carefully the charts / data. Do not rush to analyze or interpret the charts immediately.
- Respect for the dignity of the client be upheld regardless of any personal belief or bias the astrologer or client may have.
- Inform clients of the indications in their chart. Instead of saying “You will become very rich and wealthy”, say “Your chart indicates very good earning potential”.
- Speak the truth but at the same time do not say “You will have a hard and tough life”, but rather “Your chart indicate some obstructions in life which you will surely overcome with focus and effort.
- Astrologers need to show the strengths in the chart in order to help the client overcome his obstacles / difficulties.
- Empowerment: Emphasize the power that your clients have to create the future they desire. Encourage and try to leave them with a sense of renewed strength and hope. Do not not encourage your clients become overly dependent upon your services. Give clients enough information to be self-sufficient. Discourage relationships of dependency.
- Privacy and Confidentiality: Confidentiality of client/astrologer communication and data be maintained. This eliminates the use of client charts for lectures, articles, or in sharing a database with other astrologers that contains such confidential material unless prior permission has been obtained in writing and/or names has been eliminated.
- Every astrologer takes full responsibility for the information he or she is imparting, and that every client be treated in a thoughtful, sensitive manner. This includes refraining from making statements that may be stressful to the client and that may not be true, such as predicting someone will never marry, never have children, or die at a specific time.
- Clients or other associates not be exploited in any way, including sexual or financial.
- Astrology readings should be provided for self-actualization and healing purposes only, and are never intended to substitute for legal, medical or other professional advice.
Responsibility to other Astrologers and the Profession of Astrology:
- A conscious effort be made for continued personal growth and education. This can be done by taking courses, reading literature, attending conferences and seminars, etc.
- A tolerance be maintained for personal and astrological differences where there is no breach of ethics.
- The efforts of other astrologers are not be criticized; but, if unethical conduct is noted, that it be dealt with in an appropriately professional manner. Please refrain yourself from making unethical, unwanted, unwarranted, out of context comments to anyone.
- Support be given, whenever possible, to the efforts of other astrologers, so that everyone benefits from our collective knowledge, experience and insights.
- No diagnosis or opinion be made on matters about which the astrologer has insufficient knowledge and/or credentials, in which case a referral may be in order.
- If a teaching role is assumed, the material be prepared and presented conscientiously to maintain the highest standard possible. It is to be understood that said students could be the astrologers of the future, representing their profession.
- Research and any related presentations be conducted rigorously, always maintaining strict professional integrity. It is appropriate to take credit for scholarly work and ethical to give credit to contributions made by others.
- Copyright laws to be honored. This does not preclude the use of other astrologer’s work providing the law is upheld and/or appropriate credit is given.
I sincerely plead to all astrologers that a personal image of cleanliness, order and social acceptability be maintained when representing astrology. This shows respect for the client and self. In this way the astrologer sets the standard for the consultation or exchange. In addition, the conduct of the astrologer demonstrates a recognition that his/her conduct reflects on the profession as well as on the individual.
You may agree or disagree with the above, but you will certainly agree that Astrology as a profession should only exist with respectability, divinity, dignity, pride and grace.
With grace & peace,
Dr. Vickram Aadityaa